Search This Blog

Monday 29 August 2011

Windows, OSX and Linux fonts and CSS

I was trying out our new helpdesk and how it looks in different browsers and I noticed when I used Ubuntu it did not have the right font. Now we have the font Century Gothic as our brand font and our helpdesk displays this using CSS, however this font is not installed in Ubuntu by default so it picked the next font available which was Georgia and this just did not look right.

So how do you work around this? Well one is to know what the default fonts are in Windows, OSX and Linux.

This page has all the information you need.

http://www.apaddedcell.com/web-fonts

I noticed that the equivalent font in Ubuntu is URW Gothic L and so I amended our CSS to use this font if Century Gothic is not found. The CSS is below

#top-menu {font-family: Century Gothic, URW Gothic L, Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif;}

No comments:

Post a Comment